From the Kitchen of: Jeanne (aka Mom!)
Yields: 12-15 servings
* 2 bags of bread cubes
* 2 sticks of butter
* 2 medium yellow onions
* 2 cups sliced mushrooms
* 2 cups chopped celery
* 3 cups of turkey or chicken stock
* salt, pepper, any herbs you'd like to season with...
1. Saute the onion, mushrooms, and celery in the butter in a (very) large pan.
2. Add the bread cubes and start to mix everything together.
3. Start adding the turkey/chicken stock (about a cup at a time) and continue to stir well. (Add any additional seasonings as well)
4. Remove from the stove and add your stuffing mixture to a casserole pan.
5. Cover in foil, and bake in the oven at 400°F for approximately 30 minutes. You can bake it for an additional 10 minutes without the foil to brown the top a little... :) (And if it seems too dry, feel free to add a little more stock to it.)
Some tricks of the trade...
* You may want to saute the onions in one stick of butter (initially) depending on the size of your pan, and then add the second stick of butter and the other veggies once the onions start to turn a little clear. This helps your onions cook a little more without over-doing your mushrooms and celery.
* I used one bag of plain bread cubes and one bag of herb-seasoned bread cubes - a little something-something without being overwhelming... :)
* If you're looking to start off all plain-jane like, get 2 bags of unseasoned bread cubes and then I would recommend adding a little salt (only a little!), ground pepper, parsley, and maybe some rosemary and thyme.